15 October 2013

French Apple Tart


First of all I have to welcome you to the new look of the blog, I've been working quite long time with it and this is it, what you think about that? I'm pretty proud of it and I hope you sitll visit the site even with the new design and the new name. So what better than to celebrate it with a tradicional apple tart? This is a french style apple tart, with no complications and it taste delicious. You can add some extra flavour to the pastry and to the filling, I just added some cinnamon to the pastry, since I rather like the singular taste of the baked apples. 

French Apple Tart makes a 23 cm tin
For the pastry I used the same recipe as here but I added some cinnamon:
140 g butter cubed and room temperature
100 g white sugar
190 g all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

With an electric mixer beat the butter and the sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the flour, the cinnamon and the salt, beat until just combined, do not overmix. Better if you use your hands. Shape the dough into a ball, and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or up to 2 days, or freeze up to 3 months.

On a lightly floured surface, flatten the dough into a disk and put it into a tin with removeable bottom. Press the dough into the bottom and sides and pierce the bottom of the tin all over with a fork. 

for filling:
4/5 apples (I used Elstar)
sugar for sprinkle (to your liking, I used about 75 g)
50 g butter cubed
apricot jam for topping

Preheat oven to 180ยบ. Peel, core and slice the appel and distribute evenly to your liking covering all the surface. Sprinkle the sugar all over the apples and dot with the butter cubes. Bake for 60 minutes until edges are golden brown
In the meanwhile heat apricot jam in a saucepan until warmed and loose, set aside. Transfer tart to a wire rack and brush the top of the tart with the jam. using a pastry brush, brush top of tart with jam.
Recipe adapted from here.



If you like apple tarts I recommend you to have a look to this one as well.
By the way, last weekend I attend a cake fair here in the Netherlands, if you want to know more about that you can check the article I wrote for the Sweet Magazine.
Enjoy your week 

1 comment: