08 August 2012

Banana and Chocolate Layer Cake



Even you can buy bananas along the year, I think bananas fit perfect with summer recipes and specially this summer I decided to eat more healthy, eating more fruits and vegetables. But sometimes happens that bananas start to go bad, so I have the perfect reason to make a fantastic cake such as this one. Actually I was thinking to make a quick icecream I read on a magazine, but I have to confess that my freezer is full of icecreams, but also then is quite complicated to eat all the fruit I promissed myself I have to eat... so a cake is much easier to carry anywhere and share (which is an other perfect reason to not eat all what I make).

INGREDIENTS makes a tin of 20 cm

250 g flour
220 g sugar
175 g butter cubed and soft
125 ml sour cream
2 eggs
2 teaspoon baking powder 
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoon lemon juice
300 g ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)

Preheat the oven to 180ยบ, grease and flour the tin.

Sift the flour and the baking powder and reserve. Mix mashed bananas and the lemon juice and reserve.

Mix the butter, the sugar and the vanilla. Add the eggs, one by one, continue mixing, add the sour cream and add the flour mixture gradually. Finally add banana mixture and beat until smooth and all ingredients are well combined.

Pour the mixture in the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.

Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 5 minutes, and after let it cool down on a wire rack. Once cooled cover with plastic film and store in the fridge, for few hours or much better overnight.



FROSTING & FILLING

400 g icing sugar
70 g butter cubed and soft
50 ml whole milk
1 ripe banana
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
chocolate ganache

To make the chocolate you will need the same porpotions of chocolate and heavy cream and you can follow this. Store in the fridge for few hours.

For the frosting chop the banana with a fork. Mix the butter, milk and sugar until pale and smooth. Add the  chopped banana and lemon juice and beat for 3 minutes. Cover with plastic and place in the fridge for 1 hour.

Cut the cake and fill it with a ganache layer, place in the fridge if it is necessary for 10 minutes and cover with a frosting layer and repeat the process. You can top with melted chocolate.

I suggest to serve it very cold.


Enjoy!

XXX

Raquel

No comments:

Post a Comment